Bring your Halloween Pumpkins to Life with Marbelizing!
Marbling is the art of printing multi-colored swirled or stone-like patterns on paper, fabric, or objects. The patterns are formed by first floating the colors on the surface of a liquid, and then laying the object into the colors to absorb them. It is a technique that dates back to the Middle Ages.
This Halloween season, bring your pumpkins to life with this quick and easy decorating method.
To get started, you only need a few simple items:
- A pumpkin of manageable size.
- Non-water based paint. Choose at least two colors, but you can add more for a more elaborate design. Have fun with the project and pick your favorite colors!
- Bucket of cold water, big enough to fit the pumpkin
Once you have all your items ready to go, follow these easy steps:
- With the first color of paint, start spraying the surface of the water with the spray nozzle at an angle.
- Repeat that process with the other color(s), alternating until you have a nice film resting on the water.
- Here’s the fun part! Create your marbling design by either twisting the bucket or use a small object to create a swirl with the paints.
- Grab your pumpkin by the stem, and slowly lower it into the water, twisting as you go.
- Lastly, give the pumpkin a quick swish under the surface then bring it up, revealing your design!
- For added layers of marbling, repeat the process as many times as desired.
Here's the finished product!
Check out our Floral Specialist, Brad, walk you through the whole process below: